Subject: Re: Various Questions
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1998 03:42:29
At 11:54 PM 2/2/98 -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>Well, if you want them, more power to you.  Alternate OSes for Mips or
>DECstation hardware are hard to find, and the people working on
>NetBSD/pmax quite understandably dont seem specially motivated to work
>on other OSes.

I was asking this in general, not as a pmax specific question. I know that
on irc is you ask a windows-related question on #linux you get shuned.

>>3) How does the porting process in general work from the 'official' version
>>to pmax? Is it a strict they do something first and then we port it? The
>>reason I ask is that I'm not too fond of the way the installation process
>>works for packages.
>
>Sorry, I dont quite understand this one....

Right now, I'm excited about BSD, and I'd like to put time towards making
it better, before the 'new-toy' syndrome wears off. If we(pmax users)
wanted to make a change to the install process to make it more modular
would we have to convince the people we ported it from to change it first?
or do we have creative control?

To make a Linux analogy, there is Red Hat linux and Slackware linux. They
each have a different install process. Can we do that or do we follow
someone else lead?  Remember that I'm new to the BSD world.

And question 7) Where can I find some hardware specs and PROM info for my
2100?

-james
The check in the mail.