Subject: Various Questions
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1998 02:29:48
Now, that I have my machine up and running, I have various questions that I
haven't seen answered in any of my readings.

1) Are there any ports of Emacs, Pine, and Samba?

2) What are the feeling towards other OS's? I've come to the
rationalization that each OS has it's purpose and things that it's good
for. In my house alone,  there are 6 different OS's running (if you include
the different versions of windows and linux)

3) How does the porting process in general work from the 'official' version
to pmax? Is it a strict they do something first and then we port it? The
reason I ask is that I'm not too fond of the way the installation process
works for packages. Is that something that's passed down to us? I'd like to
have more control over what gets installed and what doesn't. If you're
familiar with Red Hat Linux, you'll know about their rpm setup. It's a
little bit fancier than just a tar.gz as it allows for execution of setup
scripts, removal of packages, listings of who rolled the package, PGP
signing, and other cool stuff.

4) Is there a cross-compiler in existence for compiling pmax binaries on a
i386 linux machine? Is that possible?

5) Why does pmax still use X11R5? Is there something that's kept a port of
R6? Not that I know the differences between them, I just don't like the
hack of running a daemon to access the fonts.

6) What was the other question I wanted to ask?

Thanks.
-james

PS. I'm happy with the progress I made installing bsd, it only took the
weekend from start to finish, while the jump from dos to linux took a month.