Subject: Re: sysinst death
To: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/05/1997 08:37:59
Terry R. Friedrichsen wrote:

> After setting up my partitioning and telling sysinst it was OK, sysinst
> prompted for the name of my disk.  I gave it a nice name, and then got
> the errors
>
> 	cp: /etc/disktab: Read-only file system
>
> 	(as an aside, my newline didn't get echoed, so the "cp" in this
> 	 error message immediately followed my entered disk name on the
> 	 same line.)
>
> and
>
> 	Could not open /etc/disktab
>
> followed by sysinst exiting to a root prompt.

I have the same situation for a network install.  I don't particularly have
much confidence in making my NFS share writable.  I recommended making
symbolic links to a ramdisk on /tmp until the local disk is partitioned.
I got this working okay.

I have to admit that there really is many different installation possibilities
across all the ports.  Tackling all these possibilities with a single
installation program is a monumental task.  I think we have
to concede, that for the moment, it is simpler just to use the
tried-and-proven installation methods.

Regards,
Greg