Subject: Re: single-disk, netbsd-only install
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/20/1997 09:27:25
On Nov 20,  5:30pm, Simon Burge wrote:
> I just tried this. dd the diskimage on to rz0, boot 3/rz0/netbsd, mount
> -u /dev/rz0a /, sysinst.  Select custom partition layout, `root' = 65536
> sectory, `swap' = 131072, `/usr' = 819200, `/foo' the rest.  Then:
> I also tried a sysinst build from up-to-date sources with the same
> result - am I doing something wrong here?

  When I was working on getting sysinst running on the amiga, at one point
I had changes so that sysinst correctly detected that the mounted root
partition was or was not the target root partition.  Since that time,
Jonathan has changed the code that does some checks for the root and target
root, and I wasn't able to figure out how to make my changes to get it working
again.

  The amiga install/upgrade uses a miniroot located on the swap partition,
which confused sysinst a while ago since Jonathan was using sysinst on the
target root.  My changes at the time allowed sysinst to determine that the
root device was /dev/sd0b or /dev/sd0a, and it would "do the right thing".
I verified that running with the miniroot on /dev/sd0b worked, as well as
running sysinst with /dev/sd0a as the active root.

  I haven't done anything with sysinst for a while though, since the MI
miniroot process was working much better for the amiga, so I don't know
what state sysinst is now in regarding the handling of the root.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant