Subject: Re: updated diskimage.gz, diskimage.tar.gz, {etc,xserver}.tar.gz,
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/12/1997 19:26:00
Tohru Nisimura writes:

>Hi.
>
>I've tried sysinst last night.  It's cool...

Thank you.  I've cc:ed this to the primary author so he gets to see
that, too.

[snip]

>I encountered several issues.  sysinst seems to create /kern entry in
>/etc/fstab, but there is not /kern directory.

Oof, so it does.  How silly.  I've committed a fix for that: sysinst
now creates a /kern directory in the target root, right after creating
/etc/fstab.

> I'm uncertain what's
>the purpose of /usrbin directory, whose contents are a duplication of
>/usr.install/bin.

It's a left-over. I created /usrbin to hold /usr/bin for users who do
single-disk installs where the install target root is the currently
running root. (think about what happens when sysinst newfs'es and
mounts /usr.)  I very quickly realized I needed a /usrsbin as well, so
I moved both into /usr.install.  Looks like I forgot to delete it
when rebuilding the diskimage: fixed now.

I'm waiting to hear from Michael Hitch about the fix for the sii (3100
scsi) and the disk geometry mode-sense before I put out a new kernel.

I hope this will be very close to an eventual BETA, barring any
critical problems (like ddb breakpoints not working.)