Subject: Re: Problem during "make build", with current snapshot
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/27/1997 10:18:50
On Oct 27,  1:07am, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> writes:
>
> >===> games/backgammon/backgammon
> >
> >/usr/src/games/backgammon/common_source -lcommon
> >cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
> >*** Error code 1
>
> >Any ideas?  Is anyone else seeing this or should I suspect hardware
> >problems?  I did just upgrade my 5000/120 to a 33MHz CPU module
> >recently.
>
> Hm.
>
> I'm seeing this too. SO I don't think it's a hardware problem.  My
> first guess would be a bug in ld itself, followed by a bug in ld.so.

  I also got this on my 5000/25, which I had just upgraded to use shared
libraries a week ago.  I used the existing snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org
at the time to upgrade.  [I had never gotten around to putting the shared
library stuff on the 5000/25 since I had moved most of my hacking to the
5000/50.  The 5000/50 started getting flakey, so I shut it off for a while.]
When I was finally able to get a stable source tree and the 5000/50 going
again, I had no problem linking backgammon or teachgammon on the 5000/50.
I then copied /usr/bin/ld from the 5000/50 to the 5000/25, and had no problem
linking those two programs.

  It would appear to be a bug in ld.  The working ld was from one of the
earlier snapshots with shared library support.  Version cygnus-2.7.1 works
OK, but version 2.8.1 doesn't.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu