Subject: Re: Problem during "make build", with current snapshot
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/27/1997 03:28:38
maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> writes:

>Yes...it seems the old ld binary simply isn't up to par when running
>under 1.3_ALPHA.  I recompiled binutils-2.8 from source, and the
>problem went away.

Uh, oh. I'm using 2.8.1.  I hope that's OK  too.

Hmm. if you feel really adventurous, you could try doing

	./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared

and see if that works with the `local libbfd.so, and then see if it
works with *our* libbfd.so.  The bfd source is the same, so the shared
libraries should be the same...

I'd be just as happy to ship a bunch of config files to build the
binutils 2.8.x code that's already in our tree in /usr/src/gnu/dist as
telling people to get the canonical source and build it.

--Jonathan