Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax Installation Instructions
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/26/1997 01:47:49
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 13:53:27 +1000 (EST),
Gregory McGarry writes:

>Additionally, here is a set of instructions I compiled a few months
>back.  I have made changes to it over the last few days with the
>comments from the list.  Have a look, and please supply any feedback.

Wow. I really hope it's OK to use these for the upcoming 1.3 release!

First, I've reworked the label code for the rz disk driver to make
labelling disks easier. There are two significant changes:

    1) The rz disk driver looks for a label that matches the diskimage
       label, and if it sees one, automagically alters the `total
       sectors' and raw-partition size to match the size reported by
       the drive (.e., what's printed at boot time.)

    2) The `writable label' code has been updated so that issing
	'disklabel -W' *really* makes the  label area writable.
	that should make it easier to upgrade or to install onto
	a single disk using another pmax as a `helper' machine.

The steps tha tbasically say ``edit the disklabel twice:
  first  edit the a partition to get the C parition right,
  then edit the C partition to set the partitions you want'
can be simplified.

So  the text

  >Now modify the size of your 'c' partition to correspond to the size
  >specified during the boot sequence.  Additionally, ensure the
  >'total sectors' in the header matches.

can go or be edited to remind the user to do a failsafe check.

Also,

  >Remember that the DECstation
  >console doesn't support cursor positioning, so you cannot use vi.  You
  >can edit the disklabel disk.profile back on your helper machine.

This is not quite accurate.  The Ultrix console can't do cursor
positioning. The NetBSD console can. You need to do something like
	TERM=sun; export  TERM
or
	set term=sun

depending on your shell preference. (Using 'rcons' may work as well.)