Subject: Re: two questions to DECstation 3100
To: None <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/24/1997 16:54:18
>From: s_frueau@ira.uka.de (Thorsten Frueauf)
>3100. Now I wanted to compile from my current source tree, and started
>with compiling a new kernel, I used conf/DS3100 for that. But the
>resulting kernel gets not booted - "bad format" :-( I can stil load the

I encountered this today while updating my ds5000.  It seems that
"netbsd" is now an elf binary, and the standard DEC boot code doesn't
know how to boot Elf.  There may be first stage boot blocks that can
load an elf kernel, but being in a rush I din't bother to try (see
/sys/arch/pmax/stand/README).

I simply copied netbsd.aout (which was built along with netbsd and
netbsd.ecoff) to /netbsd, and the machine once again booted normally.