Subject: Re: disklabel question (a different one this time)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/23/1997 07:29:44
At 10:50 AM 10/23/97 +0200, you wrote:
>> > disklabel -r -e rz1
>>
>> I'm not sure that Paul is in a state yet where -e will work
>
>Hey, what's wrong with
>
>EDITOR=ed
>export EDITOR
>disklabel -r -e rz1
>
>? In a pinch, you can get by with a fairly minimal set of ed
>commands.
>
>- Havard

This is exactly what I did -- after trying to "disklabel -r -e rz1" and
finding out there was no vi, ex, or even /etc/termcap! The only ed commands
I needed to use were "x,y l", "a", "c", ".", "P", "w", and "q". A little
hairy to use at first, but not too bad after scanning the voluminous man
page for what I needed.

The current state of my install (DS3100, 24MB RAM, ST1480N HD):
	rz0 is still my boot drive (32M diskimage, slightly hacked)
		rz0a: /
		rz0d: NetBSD PMAX distribution files
	rz1 has been labeled, loosely as follows:
		a: /
		b: swap
		c: (whole disk, "unused")
		d: /usr

I'm now in the process of unpacking base.tar.gz, comp.tar.gz, etc, into rz1.

Where should I go to get a viable kernel? There doesn't seem to be one
included in base.tar.gz? Should I just ues the one on rz0 (from the 32M
diskimage)?

I feel like such a clueless newbie at times...

Paul.
--
Paul Bickford == SOHC/4 #234 == 1978 CB750F ("Xeno")
http://ecog.dfci.harvard.edu/~bickford/bike.html