Subject: Re: Good news! (was: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation?)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1997 08:43:38
>From: "D. J. Vanecek" <djv-list@bedford.net>
>Subject: Re: Good news! (was: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation?)
>To: bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu (Paul Bickford)
>Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
>Cc: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG

[D3100 now sucessfully boots using the 32M-diskimage file dd'ed to a drive
via a i386 NetBSD machine.]

>> Now to figure out what to do next to get a full NetBSD installation on the
>> machine.
>>
>Just stick it

["it" being a disk labeled on a i386 NetBSD machine]

>in the pmax and see what happens. If it
>won't mount, then think about labelling.

With the i386 label on the drive, it will not mount. However, if I
	# mount /dev/rz1c /mnt
I can mount the root partition of the drive (sd0a, when installed in the
i386), getting an error to the effect of:
	"...not clean. Please fsck."
No, I don't issue a fsck -- who knows what evil that would cause!

So, now my problem is that the root partition of rz1 is only 16M, not
nearly large enough to contain the full PMAX distribution files.

So here's what I did:
	newfs'ed /dev/rz0d (to give me more room on the drive for the PMAX
distribution files)
	re-installed rz1 onto the i386 machine as sd0
	on the i386 machine (which has the PMAX files in /dev/sd0e):
		untarred the PMAX ./usr/bin/ftp from base.tar (PMAX)
		copied this version of ftp into /
	re-re-installed sd0 into the PMAX machine as rz1
	re-re-mounted /dev/rz1c /mnt
	# cp /mnt/ftp /bin/ftp
	# mount /dev/rz0d /mnt2
	# cd /mnt2
	# ftp my.pc.on.my.desk
		(I dl'ed the PMAX files there a while ago)
		mget *.gz
	Tada! Now I have all the PMAX distribution files on rz0 (in /dev/rz0d),
leaving rz1 ready to be clobbered and turned into the primary drive to
install NetBSD on!

*phew*

>If it's just mounted ro, then remount it rw. It will come up
>ro if you boot single user.  mount -u -w /   should remount rw.

The command I found to work was:
	# mount -o rw /dev/rz0a /

What remains to done:
	*label rz1 correctly, preparing it to become my primary NetBSD disk (for
root, /var, and /usr -- rz0 will be recycled to serve yet another DS3100
waiting for an OS).
	*install NetBSD onto rz1 properly.
	*When rz1 is "done", do the same to rz0 (so that my second DS3100 can also
have an OS).

Comments?

Paul.
--
Paul Bickford == SOHC/4 #234 == 1978 CB750F ("Xeno")
http://ecog.dfci.harvard.edu/~bickford/bike.html