Subject: Re: Good news! (was: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation?)
To: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv-list@bedford.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/17/1997 22:51:27
> it in my DS3100. There, I issued the following command:
>
> >> boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd
>
> and viola! The machine booted!

Bingo!

> Now to figure out what to do next to get a full NetBSD installation on the
> machine.

Still no hope for the ethernet card in the PC? That would be the obvious,
easiest, cleanest way: nfs. If that card could be made to speak... or another
begged, borrowed, rented... you'd be done in an hour.

> What I have to work with:
> 	*another ST1480 HD (currently the drive of my i386 NetBSD machine). My
> intent is to use this as the second disk for the DS3100.

Permanently?

> So, what I assume needs to be done next is:
> 	*install the second drive in the DS3100 (rz1).
> 	[Note: this will destroy my i386 NetBSD helper machine.]

Nah, just slow it down for a while. :)

> 	*label that disk (going to need help here).

I sure hope not! Just stick it in the pmax and see what happens. If it
won't mount, then think about labelling. You don't need pmax bootblocks on
it. There might be some problem if the disk has DOS/Windoze blah on it.
First experiment with it, you might get lucky. If you do get lucky,
thank the SCSI gods. (put out a saucer of beer.) You will tell us if
the pmax can mount the disk with the i386 disklabel?

But before removing it from the pc, do record the current disklabel
(disklabel -r sd0 >somefile;  lpr somefile )

You might need to activate the device from the pmax's >> prompt. At any rate,
you can toy with it a little before booting netbsd. (i.e. see if it works.)
(Help available on request if you lack the doc for the ROM Monitor).

> 	*FTP the PMAX NetBSD distribution files onto rz0.

Why bother with ftp?  just mount the disk and there it is. Don't execute
any i386 binaries, naturally. You should be able to untar at will,
once the "visitor" (rz1)  disk's relevant partition is mounted.

> 	*install the full NetBSD onto rz1 from rz0.
> 	*boot my DS3100 from rz1 and start configuring.
>
> However, right now I have 2 immediate problems:
> 	1) the system on rz0 is "read only."

How so? If it's just mounted ro, then remount it rw. It will come up
ro if you boot single user.  mount -u -w /   should remount rw.

> 	2) I can't find any ftp facility on rz0.

Now that is strange. But if you can get rz1 to mount on the pmax,
you don't need it. Or you can untar the distribution (even on the i386),
and the ftp client should appear.

> Any ideas?

One comment: now would be a good time to get the disklabel and partitioning
squared away on rz0 -- c partion covering whole disk, etc etc. I have
no idea how the 32Mb image leaves it. But it can now be altered. -- in
particular unused areas can be divided up now.

Since I have no experience relabelling a 32MB installation, I HOPE SOMEONE
WHO DOES WILL CHIME IN HERE!

Another: use the "right" tar command to expand the tarfiles. (I don't know
what it is -- but it ought to be in the HOWTO. I think you want --unlink.)

Spirit raiser: It's worth all these hassles. The Pmax makes a swell X terminal.

Dave