Subject: Re: Dynamic Libraries Problem?
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/09/1997 19:33:19
On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:24:05 +1000 (EST),
   Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au> writes:

>I cannot find libXm.so in ld.so.cache.  I suspect ldconfig is broken,
>since both ld.so and ldd work if you use the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>to list the paths.

sorry to be so late answering this.

The bottom line is this:
   * The ldconfig and ld.so we're shipping agree on search paths
     and how they're specified.  They're derived from the  GNU ld.so
     code in what was GNU libc.

   * ldd looks in the same places that the `standard' NetBSD
     ld.elf_so would be looking.

And those two just aren't the same.  Since ld.so is what's acutally
used, putting dirs in ld.so.conf *does* actually work when it comes to
running binaries.

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH should get ldd to tell the truth.

If someone has evidence that the ld.so and ldconfig in the current
snapshot do different things, please send a PR.

(NB: ldconfig was updated sometime this year; anyone running off an
old snapshot should upgrade.)