Subject: miniroot
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Reini (Reinhold Huber) <Reinhold.Huber@Fachschaften.TU-Muenchen.DE (Reinhold Huber)>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/07/1997 11:30:34
Hi!

> The problem is that the *miniroot* hasn't been rebuilt in ages.  I've
> just been rebuilding diskimage.tar.gz, which is a disk image of a full
> root filesystem.  That's much more convenient than dealing with
> miniroots for almost everyone.
>
> (The exceptions are those people with root-filesystem disks that are
> smaller than 32 Mbytes. I'd advise such people to do a diskless
> install and then tailor a local root filesystem.)

And those who (try) to do a first install with a non - NetBSD machine
as a helper. It would be a very nice thing if there were something like
a miniroot or 32M-diskimage, which can simply be dd-ed on a disk,
enabling to boot a NetBSD system to ftp the rest.
The install-script OpenBSD-pmax have on their 32MB image is really nice.
And there may be people who only have 2100s or 3100s which cannot boot
properly from network.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber