Subject: Greetings--first install
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan D Woytek <woytek@next.duq.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/03/1997 01:57:53
Greetings.  I am attempting my first install of NetBSD onto an old DecStation
5000/240, currently running Ultrix.  I was able to successfully create the
label for the disk and get the miniroot over to that disk.  In fact, I was
even able to boot from the miniroot.  However, as soon as the kernel should
begin showing me device probes, the console goes awry and become unreadable,
followed by it blanking-out completely.  From here I can't specify exactly
which framebuffer I have, since I am not anywhere near the machine.  However,
I can specify that it is a b&w controller, with just a single bnc-type
connector running to the monitor.  According to everything I've read, this
should have been supported hardware, and the boot should have completed
without incident.  The system doesn't lock up when it does this--keypresses
still stimulate system and disk activity.  I will connect a terminal if I must
to complete the install, but I would *really* like to avoid doing that.  Even
more than that, I would really like the console to work in the first place.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Farewell.

jdw

--
Jonathan Woytek -- Systems Programmer, Duquesne University CCIT
Office: 1+ 412-396-4790