Subject: Identifying this machine
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/23/1997 22:34:23
I am trying to get the vitals on this machine, before I start doing the
install.  I bought it very used from the Univ. Of Maryland, and I am
abysmally ignorant or MIPS machines so far ... so I thought I'd see if
anyone here knows more than I.  I'll describe what I see.

The disk, kinda hidden underneath stuff, is labeled as a RZ23L-E.  There
seems to be a video board, with a large Brooktree IC on it, labeled with
Bt459KG80.  There's slots for 16 each 80 pin SIMMs, of which 8 are
populated with SIMMs labeled 5019464-02 in copper, and 606205 in white
silkscreen.

Another board, I'm guessing, maybe CPU?  Two chips on it have large round
heat-sinks, and I can;t read the chip labelling underneath those.  The
board itself is marked 1A94V0-24891, and also with 50 20614-01 A02.  Don't
know how much of that is meaningful.

Any of this make sense to you?  Anyone know what kind of processor, and
what speed, and what disk it is?  I don't know if it's big enough to slap
NetBSD onto or if I have to upgrade it.  Right now it's got a Ultrix
kernel on it, but no utilities, so I can't do a df, or anything like that.
It boots, then sits there grinning at me ... VR299 monitor works well
enough.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |