Subject: DecStation 5000/120
To: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
From: Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1997 01:18:48
I am writing this reply using GNU Emacs 19.34 under X windows on a
5000/120 with 28Mb of RAM.  It's really quite usable; I seem to recall
that it's about the speed of a top-of-the-line 486.  (heh)

I'm running Ultrix, so you can see why I follow this list. :) I expect
that, if I switch to NetBSD, the shared libraries will make much
better use of my memory, so it'll pick up quite a bit of speed.  I
don't know whether the NetBSD kernel itself is more efficient, but
Ultrix hasn't impressed me generally, so it wouldn't surprise me.

But now, you can get a 100MHz Pentium for almost nothing.  So the only
reason I'm really sticking with it at the moment is the nice monitor.

I have a 4Gb SCSI Seagate Barracuda hard drive and a 4Gb(8Gb
compressed) SCSI DAT tape drive from Sony installed in a Storage
Expansion box.  So you can certainly plug SCSI peripherals into it
happily.  However, Ultrix can't cope with filesystems larger than
2Gb, so the Barracuda is partitioned into two filesystems.

Someone else on this list has said that you can't use standard SIMMs
in a 5000/120, tho.  *sigh*

It never occurred to me that people might have 5000/1xx processor
upgrades or memory they'd want to sell off; if someone does, do let me
know.  Same goes for memory.