Subject: more userland "make build" probs
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/29/1997 13:30:25
Well, the info I got on my last set of problems was so helpful that I
thought I'd let y'all know about the next set, just FYI:

1)  in src/lib/libc/arch/mips/gen/_setjmp.S, the comment "don't matter, sanity"
makes mkdep complain about an unterminated character constant; the apostrophe
is clearly confusing it. (this isn't really a problem, just an observation)

2)  after spending several hours doing quite a bit of work, the procedure
eventually emits the promising message "building standard c library".
This is the last you ever hear from it; it hangs at that point (I waited
26 hours for it, just to be sure, since somebody said I was supposed to
stand back for at least 24 hours after "make build".)

The interesting thing about #2 is that it seems to take the entire machine
with it.  You can't get it to do a ps or anything until you control-C the
make.  This makes finding out what's going on a bit more difficult than
the normal case :-).

In fact, in general, a compute-bound job pretty much takes all the marbles
and leaves few computrons for anybody else.  Is anybody else experiencing
this?

I've spent a bit of time trying to track down #2, but make's debugging options
appear to be more helpful with debugging make than debugging makefiles.  I
really need a "-d whatinhellareyoudoingnow" option :-).

DS5000/25, kernel built from 19-aug sources and binary userland from 19-aug
snapshot, in case you're wondering.  Userland source tree also from 19-aug.

I *knew* this was gonna be fun!

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com