Subject: Re: Recovering from a silly mistake
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/25/1997 15:48:35
Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au> writes:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:54:11 -0700 (PDT)  David Haube wrote:

> > I am now left with a running machine that I'm logged in as root with only
> > a couple of commands that work, tar, gunzip, no ftp, no ls, rm or other
> > favorite commands.

>The new netbsd.elf should be ok for you, especially if you got it from
>the same snapshot where you got the base.tar.gz from.

No!  There are *no* tools to boot ELF-format kernels on a pmax!!
(sorry to shout but I hope David Haube didn't follow this alredy ).

To boot diskful, copy an a.out format /netbsd to the root partition.
To boot diskless, install an ECOFF-format /netbsd.ecoff on a TFTP
server.

That's all that is currently supported.

> If you get really
>stuck, you can always boot diskless off your linux machine

Yes. You can boot netbsd.ecoff via TFTP, and then tell it to use the
local disk.

You may still be in the same hosed state as before, though; I don't
quite follow the problem there.