Subject: None
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/21/1997 11:21:47
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:07:43 -0700  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> [Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp> wrote:]
>
> >> Just FYI, I've once used DEFTA (PDQ PMAF-FA) FDDI turbo channel card
> >> with DEC 3000 model 300 (21064 alpha machine).  I tried severe network
> >> traffic over FDDI, and NetBSD/Alpha snapshot could drive it
> >> flawlessly.  I had no chance for DEFTA with MIPS machines, though.  At
> >> least one implementation can work with NetBSD.
>

> "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com> replies:
>
> >Unfortunately, the DEFZA is a ... very different board than the DEFTA.
>
> Matt Thomas' pdq driver works wonderfuly with the DEFZA, and would
> probably work on the pmax given a bus-space and bus-dma
> implementation.  I'm waiting on a tarball snapshot of Jason's which
> has code that goes some way towards fixing that.
>
> The DEFTA is a totally different board. It's older, slower, has
> PIO-driven transmit, and DMA only on the receive side, is harder to
> get to go fast, and earl versions had apallingly slow firmware (see,
> if memory serves, Berhad and Anderson's, LRPC paper.

I think you've got the models back to front - either that or we ball's
up our purchasing decision a couple of years ago :-)

 [ syd100 is a 5000/260 running ultrix 4.4 ]

syd100:~ 1> dmesg
	[ stuff deleted ]
fta0 at ibus0
fta0: DEC DEFTA (PDQ) FDDI Interface, hardware address 08:00:2b:a6:13:42
fta0: Module type is 'PMAF-FA ', Firmware revision ' 1.1'
	[ stuff deleted ]

Simon.