Subject: Re: NetBSD and FZA SAS FDDI card
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/21/1997 10:45:42
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:24:10 +0900  Toru Nishimura wrote:

> > Has anyone written the nic code to support DEC's FZA single attached
> > turbo channel FDDI card?  Most of my DS5k/240's have the FZA cards
> > in them and I was wondering about using NetBSD in place of Ultrix
> > on a select group of applications.
>
> Just FYI, I've once used DEFTA (PDQ PMAF-FA) FDDI turbo channel card
> with DEC 3000 model 300 (21064 alpha machine).  I tried severe network
> traffic over FDDI, and NetBSD/Alpha snapshot could drive it
> flawlessly.  I had no chance for DEFTA with MIPS machines, though.  At
> least one implementation can work with NetBSD.

We're using a small number (about 12) of DEFTAs here (in 5000/260's
under Ultrix), and we've had no problems at all.  From what I understand
the DEFZAs are the older, lower performance, cards.  I'll hopefully
have a couple of spare DEFTAs soon - I'll report on how they work with
NetBSD/pmax when I get them...

Simon.