Subject: None
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/20/1997 18:07:43

"Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com> replies:

>Unfortunately, the DEFZA is a ... very different board than the DEFTA.

Matt Thomas' pdq driver works wonderfuly with the DEFZA, and would
probably work on the pmax given a bus-space and bus-dma
implementation.  I'm waiting on a tarball snapshot of Jason's which
has code that goes some way towards fixing that.

The DEFTA is a totally different board. It's older, slower, has
PIO-driven transmit, and DMA only on the receive side, is harder to
get to go fast, and earl versions had apallingly slow firmware (see,
if memory serves, Berhad and Anderson's, LRPC paper.