Subject: Another 2100 question...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/10/1997 22:30:08
>BTW, DECstation 2100 (KN01) w/ prom version 7.0:
>
>Can this machine net boot at all? My roommate's machine is 7.0 and doesn't
>seem to be able to boot off the net. My mine (7.02) boots a kernel < 1Mb
>off the net just fine via tftp().

I dunno, I haven't seen one.  The 1Mbyte limit was reported elsewhere
(comp.sys.ultrix, IIRC).

>His machine boots the Ultrix image on his disk just fine (up until it gets
>to the part where it asks for a password, doh!).

It net-boots Ultrix but not NetBSD?  That's _very_ weird... What's the
start address of the Ultrix kernel?  0x80030000?

Or is the Ultrix kernel on disk?

>BTW, is it possible to break into an Ultrix box that requires a password for
>single user mode? I think I remember a jumper on the motherboard that resets
>things so you can, but then again our 2100 machines don't even have the
>removable graphics boards that other people seem to have.

I'd try removing the lead from the Ni-Cad battery pack for about 5
minutes.  The 5000-series machines have integral power on the clock
chip, AFAIK, and do you have to jumper the NVRAM off (or short it.)

I don't get what you say about the graphics, either.  AFAIK, 3100s and
2100s have the same VRAM socket with either mono, colour, or nothing at all.