Subject: Re: Followup.. Re: Stripped down kernel for install?
To: None <kosack@fred.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/29/1997 13:51:32
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:14:13 -0400 (EDT)  "Daniel S. Kosack" wrote:

>   The mouse port on my DS3100 appears faulty (tested the mouse on a
> VAXstation 2000).  The kernel is hanging looking for a mouse that isn't
> there.  I think I'll go ahead and try poking about to kludge a working
> kernel together with mouse support disabled once I get the working DS3100.

I should have remembered this sooner.  If you want to use a serial
console, then the following little tidbit works perfectly for us.

Simon.

In article <5j0gj5$gj7@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
	geest3+@pitt.edu (Gregg E Economou) writes:
>  to get by without the monitor is easy, set the console variable in the
> console environment ( with setenv at the chevron) to 8,
> and then power down and remove the frame buffer fomr the machine, and then
> you will have console on the printer port,
>   to get by wihtout a kb and mouse requires little gadgets from DEC which plug
> into the ports for kb and mouse and fake them, because the mahcine will not
> boot wihtout them..  you coudl also just leave the things plugged int, they
> dont do anythign but they have to be there.. of course, those kb's and
> mice are gettign hard to find s o tying one up on a mahcine where theyre
> not needed isnt a greta idea..  i dont knwo th epart numbers for those
> gadgets though..

Actually, you only need one little gadget - a paper clip:

To make a DecStation 3100/2100 into a DecSystem 3100/2100

1)	Remove the Graphics Board from the Mother Board.
2)	Remove the keyboard and mouse.
3)	Make a mouse eliminator.  Short Transmit data to Receive Data.
		Pins 1 -> 3 on the diagram below.
	NOTE:
	The diagram below is the view of the plug on the end on the mouse.
	The pins that are shorted are on the Decstation. Be sure to account
	for the mirroring.

DecStation 3100/2100 Mouse

	  -------
         /  | |  \
        /   ---   \
       /           \
      / 4    5    6 \
     /    -------    \
      -   2     1   -

NOTE: This is the view looking into the plug on the end of the mouse.

This used to be in the Ultrix FAQ, but I haven't seen it posted for a while.

--

Philip J. Tait.....AlliedSignal Engines, Phoenix, Az.....+1.602.231.7104
PJTait@iee.org