Subject: Re: Stripped down kernel for install?
To: Jeffrey D. McMahill <jma7+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Daniel S. Kosack <daniel@rani.kosack.fred.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/28/1997 22:25:37
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Jeffrey D. McMahill wrote:

> Plug in your mouse...
>
> At least, that sounds like exactly the problem I had when I installed
> on my DS3100 with v6.71.
> I tried net booting all the kernels, just as you did, and they all hung
> on that same line.  After pulling my hair out for several hours, I
> plugged in a mouse on a whim, and everything worked fine!

  I've got the mouse plugged in; however!  I've never used this thing
before.  At one point (before I had the keyboard, monitor, and mouse) I
attempted to make a loopback connector as specified in one of the
DEC-faq's.  Would it have been possible for me to "fry" the mouse port?

  I do get a FAILURE on the hardware test after the "3.." Initially, I
thought this was because of the battery, which is dead, but now I'm
thinking it could be the mouse since you mentioned it.

  The mouse is also used; it initially came from a VAXstation 2000 (as
well as the monitor, mind you).  No, I do have the mouse and keyboard
plugged directly into the CPU, not into the plug mounts on the back of the
monitor (as required for the VS2000).

  If it is the mouse (or worse, the mouse port) is there anything I can do
to get the machine operational?  Ultrix will boot, but does give me an
error (ws: boot test failure last byte -1 or something like that).  I did
not see any version of Ultrix available in the DEC catalog.  What would be
my options, if any?

--
Dan Kosack
kosack@fred.net