Subject: Re: Stripped down kernel for install?
To: Daniel S Kosack <kosack@wam.umd.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/27/1997 18:26:17
On Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:05:07 -0400 (EDT)
     Daniel S Kosack <kosack@wam.umd.edu> writes:

>  For the past day or so, I've been trying to install NetBSD 1.2 onto a
>DS3100 with 16MB RAM and 2 rz23 disks.  This machine was donated, and has
>the root partition of Ultrix 4.3 still bootable and intact, so I've been
>able to verify everything's cool.
>
>  I've tried all of the ecoff kernels (1.2Release, 1.2F, 1.2G, nfskernel,
>GENERIC, etc.) and ALL hang right after the "dc0 at mainbus" line.

What PROM revision do you have?

The rev 7.0 PROMs reported cannot boot kernels with text+data+bss
greater than 1 Mbyte (the PROM allocates a page of data at 1Mbyte,
trashing the kernel that it's loading.)

I have a rev 7.01 which have both netbooted recent NetBSD/pmax ECOFF
kernels via Ethernet just fine, as does a 7.02 PROM.

All my ms01 SIMMS are all in a 5000/150 right now or I'd verify that
the rev 7.01 KN01 still boots the kernel on the FTP site.