Subject: Stripped down kernel for install?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel S Kosack <kosack@wam.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/27/1997 21:05:07
  For the past day or so, I've been trying to install NetBSD 1.2 onto a
DS3100 with 16MB RAM and 2 rz23 disks.  This machine was donated, and has
the root partition of Ultrix 4.3 still bootable and intact, so I've been
able to verify everything's cool.

  I've tried all of the ecoff kernels (1.2Release, 1.2F, 1.2G, nfskernel,
GENERIC, etc.) and ALL hang right after the "dc0 at mainbus" line.

  The system battery is dead, but I wouldn't think it should be a problem.
I did try the 32M-diskimage under
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/netbsd/arch/pmax/network-install, but it yielded same
results.

  I'd gladly configure the machine diskless, if only to just get it in a
useable state.  My hands are tied until I can actually get into my box. :)

  The Ultrix 4.3 system was able to NFS mount one of my other servers, so
I don't think there's anything wierd with the le stuff (I believe the le
driver should load right after dc0?)

  Any help would be appreciated.  I understand this topic has been beaten
into the ground, but I was under the impression at least some of the
kernel revs allowed a DS3100 to boot up fully and only locked during heavy
IO (this was fixed?).  I can't even get the kernel to load fully.

  Thanks again!

Dan Kosack