Subject: Please upgrade any 1997-07-19 snapshot kernels!
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/25/1997 01:45:39
There's a bug in the 1997-07-19 kernel.  As I said, I hadn't tested it
as much as I usually test snapshots.  It turns out I accidentally left
in some profiling code in the ioasic Ethernet driver, but *not* the
counters that code is updating.

On an ioasic machine --anything except 5000/200 and 3100/2100s -- the
onboard Ethernet driver is going to silently scribble over some
crucial kernel variables, including the real-time increment per clock
tick, the number of allocated mbufs, and possibly the kernel's count
of total swap space.

The fix is simple: either replace older kernels with the updated
snapshot kernel I put on ftp.netbsd.org Monday, or compile your own
kernel from sup'ed source.

Sorry about this. I'm going to revert to my previous ``test for a few
days'' policy for snapshots, too.