Subject: panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gregory McGarry <gmcgarry@lux.sprc.qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/24/1997 18:35:30
I always get the following panic when compiling a new kernel on
a DS5000/25 with the latest snapshot:

  panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map

which appears from the following code: (sys/kern/kern_malloc.c)

     va = (caddr_t) kmem_malloc(kmem_map, (vm_size_t)ctob(npg),
                                 !(flags & M_NOWAIT));
      if (va == NULL) {
              /*
               * Kmem_malloc() can return NULL, even if it can
               * wait, if there is no map space avaiable, because
               * it can't fix that problem.  Neither can we,
               * right now.  (We should release pages which
               * are completely free and which are in buckets
               * with too many free elements.)
               */
              if ((flags & M_NOWAIT) == 0)
                      panic("malloc: out of space in kmem_map");

Any ideas?

Regards,
Greg