Subject: Re: Random hangs
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1997 18:39:04
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:12:35,
  Jason L. Wright <jason@thought.net> writes:

>I've been experiencing random hangs on my DS3100.  Nothing is printed on
>the console, but it gets locked tight.  (It accepts telnet connections, but
>never spawns login, and the console doesn't echo back characters from the
>keyboard).

I haven't seen anything like this. All the 3100 RAM I have is in a
KMIN right now.  But if you had a kernel with DDB, you could type a
break to the serial console, get a DDB prompt, and do an in-kernel ps
to figure out if this was a kernel problem (e.g., out of physical
memory) or something else.

Should I add

	options		DDB
	options		DDB_ONPANIC=0

to the GENERIC kernel? That would mean DDB is present, and you can get
into it via the console, but the kernel won't enter it on a panic,
which makes rebooting remote machines without console access a fun
challenge.