Subject: Re: new snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1997 09:03:13
> Eeek, looks like there might be another snapshot tomorrow-ish.

	Eeek. :-)  This raises a question for me.  I would
like to get myself set up to keep up with -current.  What
I would like to know is how big should my /usr/src parition
be to hold all the sources and build a full pmax system?

	One other thing someone might be interested in.  Right
now I'm on an 8 Meg 5000/20 (with 16 more on the way).  I know
I know, 8 megs isn't enough, but the behavior I saw was
interesting.  I forgot to add a swap partition to /etc/fstab,
and was thus running swapless.  I booted to multiuser on
the generic kernel to build a new kernel for this machine.
When I did a "make depend" the machine froze.  No messages,
no nothing.  I was able to reproduce this twice.  I then
realized I had no swap, added swap and it worked fine.

	Anyway it seems to me that simply freezing is the
wrong behavior there.  An out of memory error or something
should have popped up.  It also makes me think that
"swapon -a" (run in rc) should print a message in all
caps or something if there are no swap entries in
/etc/fstab. :-)

	Oh yeah, one more note.  I unpacked the tarballs
with "tar xvpf", which correctly made programs like
"w" and "pstat" setgid.  This would be wonderful if the
group was right, they came out group sys on my system
and I've been manually changing them to "kmem" as I
notice.  Did I do something wrong or is there a
minor problem with the tarballs?

	Thanks.

--
Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org
         System Administrator / Network Technician