Subject: Re: NetBSD NFS root
To: Gregory McGarry <gmcgarry@lux.sprc.qut.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/14/1997 01:23:58
Gregory McGarry <gmcgarry@lux.sprc.qut.edu.au> writes:

 >The DS console continually prints:
 >
 >RPC timeout for server 0x83b51105
 >[...]
 >
 >Why does it say it's talking to 0x83b51105 when it actually tried
 >talking to 131.181.255.255?

Are you sure? that sounds very suspicious to me. What is your subnet
and subnetmask?  What broadcast address are you using?

The NetBSD machine says it thinks it's talking to 131.181.17.5.  (look
in sys/nfs/krb_subr, that's where the message is; that hex number is
an IP address in native byteorder).  Is that your  NFS server?

It's really hard to tell with the names in your tcpdump output.
(I'm sure they're meaningful to you, but raw IP and MAC addresses
would be easier tome.) I woudl

 >The NFS server is on Solaris 2.4.  Is this some NFS V3 thing?

I hope not.  Don't normaluser-level NFS-mounts default to nfsv3
mounts, if the server supports nfsv3?  I have no idea
if that works to a Solaris 2.4 server.

You certainl have had your share of woes,d. I hope the wind changes soon.