Subject: NetBSD/pmax installation
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gregory McGarry <gmcgarry@lux.sprc.qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/12/1997 17:48:56
Hello All.

Well, my NetBSD/pmax installation onto the DS5000/25 continues.
Last weekend Jonathan solved my tftpboot problems, and thanks to
David Conran I have myself a supported graphics and monitor setup.

There were some messages on the list earlier in the week about getting
the tftpboot working with the KN03-AA V5.1b prom?  Was this sorted out
or is there still numerous machines with problems?  I ask this because
this problem is probably more important than mine!

Jonathan expressed interest in improving the NetBSD/pmax installation
procedure.  I would tend to agree, given that the first contact many
have with the OS is when installing it.

Tohru Nishimura wrote:

> I learned MAXINE can not complete netboot procedure with video
> console.  (Jonathan already has some guess of the cause).  So, you
> have to use serial console hooked up MAXINE serial port for TFTPboot.

I can verify this.  I don't have a serial console either.  Is this the
next logical problem in the NetBSD/pmax installation procedure?

Tohru Nishimura continues:

> Try "boot 3/tftp", and see what will happen on the serial console.
> you will eventually get;
>
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device:
>
> on display, and your serial input is available on the root device
> selection prompt.

I'm looking for a serial connection to the DS, however, I'd prefer a
solution to the video console problem.

Is Simon Burge going to be the official Webpage maintainer then?

Comments appreciated.

Regards,
Greg