Subject: multiple framebuffers of same type
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/08/1997 19:18:59
>>I'm curious: what about a supported card?
>
> Come to think of it, I am interested in reports of multiple
> framebuffers of the same type in a single machine.

I tried to install an addtional PMAGB-BA (HX board, aka sfb) to
DS5000/25 pealing off from another.  With the configuration, self test
complains like "TAFF#1 reading red memory" or something.  After all,
"cnfg 1" shows the board correctly. and it boots like below;

asc0 at asic0 offset 0x300000 priority 3: target 7
xcfb0 at tc0 slot 2 offset 0x0 (1024x768x8)
sfb0 at tc0 slot 1 offset 0x0 (1280x1024x8) (console)
sfb1 at tc0 slot 0 offset 0x0 (1280x1024x8)
Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
rz2 at asc0 drive 2 slave 0 DEC RZ25     (C) DEC rev 0900, 832527 512 byte blocks
boot device: rz2
root on rz2a swap on rz2b
root file system type: ffs

It's interesting to notice the board in slot1 was recognized as sfb0
with "console" flag while another in slot0 (original one) as sfb1,
because console PROM variable still has value 0, not 1, and the
display is connected with the slot 0 port.  (xcfb0 at slot2, is it
correct??)

Anyway, as I don't want to have two bulky 19" color monitors on desk even
if X server supports "dual headed" configuration, I did not try to run X.
If worth doing that, I would reassmble machines again.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology