Subject: Re: Hardware Identification
To: Jim Miller <jmiller@jcmco.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/31/1997 19:31:19
On Fri, 30 May 1997 22:39:22 -0400 (EDT)  Jim Miller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently obtained a Decstation 5000.  It is in a 19" rack enclosure
> (along with a SCSI mass-storage drawer containing 6 RZ58 drives).
> Unfortunately, there are no nameplates anywhere on it that indicate
> which model it is (120, 200, 240, etc).  Upon power-up it indicates
> "KN03-AA DEC V5.1b TCF0" on the console.

Both the 5000/240 and the 5900 report themselves as a KN03.  As far as
NetBSD is concerned, these machines are pretty much identical.  Most
5000 series machines are in a case that has a badge on the front in the
upper left hand corner.  If it's a rack mount machine it's a 5900.  If
Ultrix is installed on it, it will tell you the model number when it
boots.

> Also: if this box _is_ one of the NetBSD/pmax supported architectures,
> can I use my NetBSD/386 box to make one of the RZ58 drives bootable
> for the the 5000?  (I've already successfully formatted and used one
> under NetBSD/386).

I'd guess you could dd the miniroot onto an RZ58 from the i386 box,
similar to what you'd do starting from Ultrix as mentioned on the
netbsd/pmax installation web pages.

Simon.