Subject: Re: DECstation 5000 memory?
To: Andy Sparrow <andy@aonix.com>
From: Alexandre Lamotte <lamotte@starway.digital.com.br>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/30/1997 10:08:20
Andy Sparrow wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Does anyone happen to know whether the 80pin SIMMs fitted to DEC VAX
> 4100-series machines are compatible with the 80 pin SIMMs fitted to
> DECstation 5000/1xx-series machines?
>
> I note that the DEC part numbers are different, which might be significant
> or mean nothing at all... :-/  Has anyone tried this and know the answer?
>
> I have a line on some reasonably-priced ex-VAX 16Mb & 4Mb modules which were
> apparently removed from a 4100... :)
>
> AS

    Hi Andy,

         Unfortunately you can't do that. The DECstation 5000/1XX
allows you expand the memory in 4MB or 16MB steps, using :

   MS01-AA    4MB parity ( 2 X 2MB 1-Mbit DRAM ) Maximum 32MB
   MS01L-AB   4MB parity ( 2 X 2MB 1-Mbit DRAM ) Maximun 32MB
   MS01-CA   16MB parity ( 2 X 8MB 4-Mbit DRAM ) Maximun 128MB

 You can't use anything different.

   Hugs.