Subject: disklabelling -- Re: help
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/28/1997 13:02:34
Jonathan Stone wrote;

> I really should rebuild diskimage.tar.gz with a statically-linked
> tar, gzip/gunzip, uncompres, vi, and ftp.  That would make it easier
> to set things up. Next is  to add all the install/upgrade  scripts...

Please add any notes about the fact /sbin/disklabel will complain

	ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink

for some of SCSI disk including RZ25 even if partition size looks
definitely correct.  I (and others) wasted much time to go farther
beyond labelling.

My current solution is to set C partion size larger than the number
reported by disk driver; for example, although RZ25 reports total size
832527, set larger (defunct) value.  I don't know why this solve
(hide?) the issue.  Mysteriously enough, some other kind of disks
cause no trouble even with "real" C partion size.  No, I don't think
it due to "zone-recording."

Another issue is /etc/disktab.  As you all know, almost of them are
now inappropriate to run NetBSD/pmax.  Disk labelling is the second
pitfall (the first is booting, obviously) traps new commers, so
hussle-free preparation should be provided as defaults.  Building
bullet-proof install kit is a time comsuming task (literally).  But,
it would be rewareded once done, because people suffered and abandoned
by poor installation will never use NetBSD/pmax.  Many volunteers
would be required.  I have several MAXINE (DS5000/25) and I can
contribute to a part of tasks.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology.