Subject: Re: decstation 5000/33
To: Jonathan R. Langdale <langdale@tiac.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/27/1997 12:29:54
On Mon, 26 May 1997 22:25:35 -0500  "Jonathan R. Langdale" wrote:

> I can set boot 3/rz3c/netbsd on my machine!
>
> PROM boot commands elude me please help!
>
> I see R> and I do boot 3/rz3c/netbsd and I get R> again
>
> boot works but keeps booting 3/rz2/vmunix! how do I fix this?!?!

The "R>" prompt is the resticted firmware prompt.  The only commands
that will work are "boot" and "passwd", and arguments to these commands
are ignored.  You need to entry the firmware password to the "passwd"
command before you can enter abitary console commands.

If you don't know the firmware password, you can reset the factory
defaults for the firmware by jumpering the "NV RESET" (I think :-)
jumper on the motherboard and powering the machine on.  Turn it off
after the self tests have finished, remove the jumper, and you're back
at the factory defaults.

Simon.