Subject: Re: a ds3100 experience of yesterday
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/26/1997 13:01:54
On May 25, 10:19pm, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this is related to the sii problems on the 3100 that
> Michael Hitch has been hunting recently, but here you go:
> The fsck messages included bad file types, incomplete inodes, and
> non-contigous directory files.
>
> It took about 4 or 5 fsck -f -y's to make the disk fsck-clean again.

  This looks like one of the problems I've seen, but my disks only seemed
to get trashed after the system crashes.  The crashes almost always seem
to be caused by various bus-fault errors.  I haven't been able to determine
why I'm getting the bus faults.  It may be that my 3100 could be having some
memory problems.

  The disk trashing I thought could be coming from the SII driver getting
confused when synching the disk buffers after the panic.

> Any ideas or explanations ?
> rz1: error 0 scsi status 0x2
> rz1: Illegal request
> rz1: error 0 scsi status 0x2
> rz1: Illegal request
> rz1: error 0 scsi status 0x2
> rz1: Illegal request
> rz1: error 0 scsi status 0x2
> rz1: Illegal request

  I haven't seen anything like this on my 3100.  It would be interesting to
see what command was causing the "Illegal request".  The error processing in
rz.c would need to be modified to include more information when an error
occurs.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu