Subject: Re: CD-ROM for NetBSD/pmax
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andy Sparrow <andy@aonix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/26/1997 11:43:20
You said:

> What should I prepare to hook CD-ROM up with NetBSD/pmax.  I have one
> DEC RRD42 drive at hand and connected with MAXINE (DS5000/25) a few
> minutes ago.  It recognizes the drive as rz4 correctly, but
> /sbin/mount_cdrom refuses to work with /dev/rz4x  I guess appropriate
> device special files in /dev are missing.

You need to compile a kernel with 'options CD9660' in the
machine-specific file in '/usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/conf'. The
GENERIC kernel doesn't have this option in it.

Then use:

	mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/rz4a /cdrom

or similar to mount the CD.

This works fine for me for ISO 9660 CD-ROMs, and I regularly use
Mosaic to browse these on my 3MIN. I think the man page says that
'mount_cd9660' doesn't support High Sierra CDs, but I haven't seen
one of those in years... I don't have a executable 'mount_cdrom'
in my '/sbin' directory for 1.2.

If the CD contained (for example), some Unix filesystem instead,
you probably wouldn't have to do this, but could mount it directly
as long as it was a directly supported type.

Cheers,

AS