Subject: Re: need PROM help
To: Thomas Graichen <graichen@rzpd.de>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@rzpd.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/22/1997 12:36:13
hasn't Thomas Graichen said ? ...
> i need some advice from someone with more PROM experience than me or
> docs about the 5000/200 PROM commands and working principle :-)
>
> while trying to find out if my cfb in the 5000/200 is working or
> broken (without having any monitor connected to it) i also tried to
> set the console via setenv to g (which i thought to be _g_raphics)
> ... and since then i never again saw the ">>" prompt on my serial
> console ... :-( (which sems to be clear if i set console to g - bad
> idea of me ...)
>
> ok - now how to recover from that situation ? - i have kbd & mouse
> connected and was thinking that simply typing "setenv console s" will
> give the >> back to my serial console - but it looks like beside the
> fact that i don't have any monitor being able to sync on green to
> connect to the pmax right now also the keyboard seems to be broken - i
> did'nt get the >> prompt to the serial console ... :-(
>
> can anyone here please help me out of this situation ? - is there any
> fallback to serial console trick - of will it fall back to serial if i
> remove the cfb card from the tc slot ?
>
> a lot of thanks in advance

ok - i simply solved it by loaning a sync on grenn capable monitor and
using it as console then (the prompt was there :-) - also the solution
for the problem below was the not connected monitor before - now -
with monitor i don't get the error at powerup and the x server works
fine

thanks for any help