Subject: Re: Can someone test out a GENERIC kernel on a 3100?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/16/1997 14:45:17
On May 15,  7:58pm, Steven E Lumos wrote:
> And all of the following things DO cause a hang, and always on the 5th
> file:
>
> # tar xvzf /tmp/x11r6.3.tar.gz
> # tar xvzf /usr/src/X/x11r6.3.tar.gz
> # gzip -dc /tmp/x11r6.3.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>
> Are there any specific things I should be trying? Frank is going to
> write a program that will create a bunch of randomly sized files and
> fill them with random bytes, while printing it's progress, but we
> don't know what else to try.

  OK, I finally was able to duplicate this using "tar xvzf /a/x11r6.3.tar.gz"
on my 3100.  This is with a 1.2E kernel from -current as of May 14 plus all
my current changes for r4000 support.

  I was able to use an HP disk [C3010-300] without any problems, and I was
able to use a DEC RZ58.  But when I tried using a DEC RZ56, the tar would
hang the system on the first file.  It appears to be a hard hang - i.e.
I don't think anything can interrupt, so trying to use the keyboard for
anything wouldn't work.

  Now that I have a configuration that can easily be hung, I can work on
trying to track down why it's hanging.

  One interesting thing I noticed:  the sii driver does not negotiate
synchronous transfers, but does accept synchronous transfers if the disk
requests them.  The HP disk and RZ58 drives did not request synchronous
transfer, but the RZ56 drives do.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu