Subject: Re: odd disk problem
To: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/14/1997 09:39:40
On May 14,  7:44am, "Terry R. Friedrichsen" wrote:
> Upon reboot, my rz2 drive, an RZ-26 of some flavor, stopped the SCSI config-
> uration with "unknown phase 0x92".  The boot aborted at that point.

  Hmm - that appears to be the command phase.

> I removed the drive, and all's well with NetBSD again.  But I thought I'd
> report the problem here, in case somebody has some insight into this and
> can tell me how I can put the drive back in my 5000/25 without losing.
>
> Might it be safe to just hack the SCSI config code to ignore this problem?

  It would require modified the SCSI driver code to deal with the problem.
It can't just be "ignored" - the 53C94 chip is in the middle of trying to
do a command to the disk.  That current operation would need to be aborted
somehow and things cleaned up to make the 53C94 and the driver "idle" so
that other SCSI operations can be started.  I'm not sure how that should be
done, and it would be difficult to test it without being able to duplicate
that situation.

  That message is part of recent additions to display the reason for the
"abort" and reboot by the ASC driver.  Previously, it was possible to have
the system reboot with no message as to why.  I had seen this happen under
certain configurations of SCSI disks connected externally.  If I can
reproduce a failing configuration, and the reboot occurs for the same
reason, then I may be able to figure out what's happening and possibly fix
the driver.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu