Subject: problems compiling ssh-1.2.17
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/13/1997 21:17:45
Has anyone successfully installed ssh-1.2.17 (or any other version)
under netbsd/pmax, either 1.2 or current?

I'm running the mid-March snapshot of netbsd/pmax on a DECstation
2100, and I'm having trouble compiling ssh.  First there was a
spurious complaint from configure in gmp, which was eventually fixed
by setting CC=cc in the environment.

Now, I get as far as the ld stage for ssh, but then it bombs:

   cc -pipe  -o ssh ssh.o sshconnect.o log-client.o readconf.o hostfile.o
      readpass.o  tildexpand.o clientloop.o canohost.o  idea.o  rsa.o
      randoms.o md5.o buffer.o emulate.o packet.o compress.o  xmalloc.o
      ttymodes.o newchannels.o bufaux.o authfd.o authfile.o crc32.o
      rsaglue.o tss.o cipher.o des.o match.o arcfour.o mpaux.o  userfile.o
      signals.o blowfish.o -Lgmp-2.0.2-ssh-2 -lgmp -Lzlib-1.0.3 -lz
      -lwrap -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib  -lutil
   ld: mpn_add_n.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_lshift.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_mul_1.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_rshift.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_sub_n.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_submul_1.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   ld: mpn_addmul_1.o: linking PIC files with non-PIC files
   /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `allow_severity'
   /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `deny_severity'
   *** Error code 1

I remade and reinstalled libwrap on the offchance that it was the
problem, but this had no effect.  I have no idea what the PIC stuff is
about, and to top it all off, the Makefile for ssh does not work well,
in that lots of stuff is recompiled when it shouldn't be (thanks to
some cute use of temporary files).  Sigh!

Anyway, if anyone can suggest an approach with respect to the PIC
complaints, and if anyone has any ideas as to why libwrap is causing
problems, I'd much appreciate enlightenment.

BTW, ssh compiles just fine under netbsd/i386 version 1.2.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Computing Services, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                       (514) 848-7606