Subject: netbooting a 5000/200 for install
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven McDonald <scm@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/11/1997 15:45:23
Hi folks, I've dug through all the documentation I can find to no avail.
So if you can either answer outright, or point me to more documentation I
would be forever thankful:

I have a DECstation 5000/200 with no operating system on it currently,
and I'm trying to install NetBSD (big suprise there!). The only other
machine with a SCSI bus that I could get access to to try and write the
disk label with is a sun sparc/1 running SunOS. But I could not get the
disklabel program to compile properly.

My second try was to netboot the DEC off of a Linux box. I sucessfully
got the nfsnetbsd.ecoff kernel to start, but when it trys to mount a
root filesystem it just continuously gives the error "RPC: conection
timed out for server 0xcfa75dff" (or something really close to that)

The root directory is specified in the /etc/bootptab and the directory is
in the /etc/exports on the Linux box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve