Subject: Re: Can't mount my Linux-box via NFS
To: Jan Mueller <jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/26/1997 15:55:53
In message <199703262009.VAA05236@rztsun.rz.tu-harburg.de>Jan Mueller writes
>Hi !
>
>I'm using the current snapshot (16.03.97 or so) on
>a DS 5000/33.
>I'm not able to mount dirs from my Linux-box using
>mount -t nfs ....
>I always get "/mnt/Linux:Permission denied" with
>the directory-permissions of the mount-point set to 777.

>Any clues ?

You can do NFS mounts from non-Linux servers so clearly it's a problem
with the Linux NFS server box.

You don't say which Linux distribution you're running, or which
version of the distribution, so it's hard to offer advice.
(To coin a phrase, ``"Linux software engineering" is an oxymoron''.)

I have no trouble NFS-mounting from Linux SlackWare systems where the
Linux nfsd is started with a -n option.  Some other Linux
distributions may require an "insecure" option in the Linux
/etc/exports.

In many environments, these options offer no real increase in security
whatsoever, so you're not losing anything.  The only exception is if
you think your users might run their own NFS client software on
onprivileged ports, *and* it's impossible for the users to get access
to privileged ports.  It's trivial to get root access on any machine
that can boot from a floppy drive, so....

Alternatively, a more recent NetBSD kernel (like, this week) uses
privileged ports for all NFS operations by default, which means you
can drop the -n and/or "insecure" option, if doing so lets you sleep
more comfortably at night.