Subject: How does a driver allocate some uncached memory?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/20/1997 17:56:37
I this device which has a small block of memory (64 bytes) which
get updated asynchronously via DMA.  Now I could have driver clean
the block from cache before it reads from the block but it would
be much faster (and cleaner) if I could allocate it and then via
a MI method get an uncached alias of it.

I promise to never-ever free it or reference it via a caching VA.

Ideas?

[I really like machines with coherent caches.  Too bad the MIPS
designed aren't coherent.]
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message