Subject: booting a 3100
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Reini (Reinhold Huber) <Reinhold.Huber@Fachschaften.TU-Muenchen.DE (Reinhold Huber)>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/1997 14:48:58
Hi!

We've got two DS 3100 without hard disks and made several attempts to boot
them:

- netboot via tftp
  bootserver: VAXstation running Ultrix 3.1
- netboot via mop
  bootserver: i386 running Linux
- dd-ing miniroot-1.2 on a hard disk and trying to boot that
  disklabel fails, because the netbsd-disklabel does not run correctly
  on the VAX, at least, we didn't find out how to make it run correctly.
  So I tried the `dirty hack' from the pmax-install WWW page
  (NetBSD/pmax Installation Guide),
  cat miniroot-1.2 | dd of=/dev/rz8c (slave 0 on 2nd SCSI)
  - the pmax didn't boot with error bad superblock, could not load.
  (console commands were:
  setenv bootpath rz(0,0,0)netbsd
  boot
  )

I think the PROM of the pmax is incapable of booting off the net, because
a bootptest from another machine works and mopd on the linux box seems to
work, too. Network connection is ok.

Does anybody have a hint what I'm doing wrong in the third method, or could
somebody please help me out with a miniroot complete with a disklabel,
which is wrong but only would need some editing?
I think, but i'm not sure, that my disklabel could edit a label for NetBSD
disks.

Does an Intel machine with SCSI running NetBSD help? If yes, how?

I'd be very glad to get one solution to get the pmax boot.

With best regards,
Reinhold Huber