Subject: Re: lots of messages with new snapshot
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/06/1997 09:02:16
On Mar  6,  1:36am, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >> I keep getting lots of messages like
> >>
> >> /netbsd: asc: DMA_OUT, fifo resid 16, len 2908, flags 0x32
>
> >The debug messages REALLY hurt disk write performance.  Since around 1.2B
> >source code tree, the symptoms has been persisting.
>
> I only just started seeing it.

  I have been getting these messages on some RZ56 disks, but they haven't
been very frequent.  I may get a few when linking the kernel, and I also
see several when running elf2ecoff.

  The message is left over from the time I was working on getting bugs out
of the asc driver relating to non-empty fifo conditions.  In this particular
instance, the fifo is full of data being sent to the disk, and I think the
disk has disconnected.  This should be a normal sequence of events, and the
dma pointer is adjusted to account for the data in the fifo.  This message
can be removed (or at least commented out in case there could still be
some trouble with the driver).

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu