Subject: Re: New shared-lib snapshot available
To: Tom Yu <tlyu@mit.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/03/1997 10:53:00
Tom Yu writes:

>Could you please post somewhere the patches that are necessary against
>-current and binutils-2.7 that are required to reconstruct this
>snapshot?

I'll try...  the binutils changes are *huge*, and the bsd.lib.mk
pacthes are gross.  How about I put them on ftp.netbsd.org -- in the
case of the make rules, at at least until they get changed and folded
into the tree, which should happen this-weekish.

>From looking at somewhat recent -current sources, it seems
>only minor Makefile and bsd.lib.mk changes are needed to get the
>shared library building to work, though I'm not so sure about gcc and
>binutils (I get the impression that gcc needs to default to -fPIC
>rather than -fpic (which doesn't seem to end up passing -KPIC to gas),
>among other things.

Ah, thanks!  One reason I made the snapshot is to get feedback and
ideas like that.

I suspect there's likely to be a conflict between whatever other
NetBSD ports do, and what other mips gcc targets do: you just can't
win....  Should I fix gcc to default to -fPIC, or change the -fpic to
DTRT for pmax shared libs?